Sunday, June 19, 2022

Once Again- I have neglected this blog

Greetings- I don't know what it is but I so seldom take time to do a blog post- I have many things I have made since the mid April post. I will try to show a few- I have some pieces up right now at Ricochet Gallery here in Albuquerque. The show there right now is Albuqueerque and it is a wonderful show celebrating LGBT pride.

The pieces I have up there right now are Tutelary deities.
A tutelary deity is a deity or spirit who is a guardian, patron or protector of a particular place, geographic feature, person, lineage, nation, culture or occupation. A household deity for example is a deity or spirit that protects the home, looking after the entire household or certain key members.
These are 13 inches tall and 8 inches wide. The backgrounds are old book pages and tea bag papers. I have had these house shaped pieces of wood for years as well as the molding samples from a frame shop- finally the idea clicked and I made these Guardians. The three female ones are smaller collages and in house shaped frames.  This show at Ricochet Gallery is up  through to 25th. The gallery is open Wednesday through Saturday 12pm-4pm.










6 comments:

  1. Amazing Terry. I hope you sell out. :-). John

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really wonderful, my friend. Your creativity never ceases to amaze!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! These are all just terrific, Terry! You are a great artist and storyteller. Take good care, I miss you1

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so wonderful, Terry! The current climate in which we are living means that every one of us needs a personal guardian or protector, 24/7. A number of years ago, knowing what it was called at the time, I made a Tutelary deity for my son titled “Dangerman” (who had a lightning bolt, and was there to ward off danger) when he went to Japan to teach English for three years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are brilliant, Terry! What a clever use of frame samples, too! It's a terrific concept, delightfully executed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That last one was me, Sharon. I didn't realize it would post as "anonymous"!

      Delete