Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Not Going Back

This one is titled: Jared Knew He Could Never Move Back to the City.  For those that know me- this is very much about me.  My life changed  forever when we moved up north to a small community.  My partner and I lived in Minneapolis for 25 years- right in the city.  We are both from small Iowa towns so moving to the city was huge, exciting and so right for us at that time.  Now we live in the woods nine miles from town.  We gave up a lot coming here- a wonderful support system of friends- diversity- but there have been incredible experiences here.  Hiking for hours in the Chippewa National Forest and seeing not another person and hearing ravens talk back and forth.  Looking at the night sky without city light pollution- seeing the northern lights-amazing.  This early summer seeing thousands of lightening bugs flashing all over deep into the forest.  There are times when I am wistful about the move but for now I am very happy to be here.

11 comments:

  1. City life offers one set of adventures and country life another! It is wonderful when we can appreciate each for its gifts. Me, I VISIT the city and live happily in the country. : ) Someday...a visit to your wilderness is in order!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Lisa. I would be wonderful to see you. Welcome to retirement.

      Delete
  2. very well said and true to your heart. I can tell the move was god. You are thriving up there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been to your world and know that you have made an oasis for yourselves. What a find to have such a gorgeous home and beautiful forest surrounding it! I am glad you have carved out a place to call home.

    I love the calmness of this piece. It is so tender. The gelli background pull it all together to help make the piece so peaceful. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John- peaceful yes- perhaps a bit wistful?

      Delete
  4. I love how you used the Gelli background in this one. Also the message. I'm originally from Los Angeles, but once I graduated college, I started moving north and didn't stop until I got to rural Humboldt County. It's been home now for nearly 20 years and will be for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, we have been here since 2002-the first 8 years i taught at the university here. We still have yet to connect with another gay male couple and we do feel more "out there" than we'd like- this isn't the most welcoming place for gays. So we have ups and downs.

      Delete
  5. Lovely, wistful, words and images. It's good to confirm one's life choices; to choose to stay, with intention, not because of inertia. Well said, Terry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank You Sharon- I will say that sometimes I still wonder a bit- three steps forward 2 steps back. Today a 25 mile bike ride and only saw one other person- you have to love that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grew up in the country life. It is wonderful. Having grown up in snow and ice I am not sure I could go back to that after having not lived in it for 25 years.

    A wonderful spread. Very tender.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Terry- I absolutely love the Gelli print background in this one. The colors are perfect for the subject matter, here, and the composition they create gives emphasis to the imagery and focus to the story you are telling. Thank you for the descriptive details relating this piece to your own life!

    ReplyDelete