Thursday, April 30, 2020

Zine Fest

Wow the last day of April- seems very strange for some reason- time seems different now-and the underlying fear makes for some challenging times throughout each day.  Several of my artist friends have said they are frozen- can't go to their studios to make something- I found myself getting totally into making zines. These are made with one sheet of paper and one cut is made and they fold into a book form. I add a cover for mine.  There are many variations. Zines were popular in the late 60s and then again in the early 80s for the punk scene- then there was a rewed interest in the mid to late 90s.  I have always loved them- it's a way to make something that I can share with my friends. I have made several different ones in the last few weeks- some I made the collages and then scanned them into my zine template to print out.  One I did digital collages for but mostly they are actual cut and paste collages. This zine has 4 double page spreads. I will share them  one at a time.  Here is the first one.

Hope this finds you all safe- healthy.

This is the front cover- the background is an altered gel print.

This is the back cover of the zine.
 
First spread- gel print background and pieces, collage  and
text from an art education text from the 1950s.

Second spread-gel print background collage elements and 
text from that art education book.

Third spread- gel print background, collage elements
and found text from a magazine.

Fourth spread- gel print background, collage elements
and a vintage vocabulary card used in a school in
the 1950s.

This the the diagram for making the zines.   Why not
try one yourself?





 




1 comment:

  1. I love you, your work and my zine. I admire that you are productive during this cray time. Hope to make something to send your way in May! Take good care.

    ReplyDelete